Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Rest of the Story

I am sure you read yesterday's post about us driving up the hill to Flagstaff, Arizona for a lovely weekend. You were thinking about that Ole of Olay commercial where they are peacefully driving in the beautiful car in a gorgeous part of the country. . . . . everything going so smoothly.

Well, first of all we get the car and Love Man immediately says, "Did you know we had a flat tire?" "No," I said, " just put some air in it." I guess this is some tire rule that you don't just put air in the tire and keep on traveling.

We head to Discount Tires, where there is a 45 minute wait. I said, "ask them to call the Discount Tire up the street." They didn't call, but said the wait would be the same. So, I called and spoke to my new best friend, Josh and he held the bay for us. I explained we were trying to get out of town. Any Phoenician understands this simple little statement. This is why people in Phoenix own mountain homes, beach condos, camp or visit relatives. They must escape the heat from time to time.

So, guess what? One of the little thingys that keep the air in and apparently turn colors like some weird mood ring was loose. The tire needed air. There was nothing else wrong with it.
In my defense, I would have put air in the tire, checked it once on my jaunt up the mountain
and visited Discount Tires up in Flag. So, basically, the tire needed air and the thingy needed to be screwed in tightly.

So, we get up there. All is well. We go downtown and are checking out the cute little shops. Love Man loves this part. He doesn't understand why all three of his women like to do this.

My friend Amy called, her family was in town. Her parents own a house in Flag and shes goes up a lot. We all went out to dinner. The pink haired girl got sick and Amy had to leave early. The rest of us stayed, I did volunteer to go with Amy.

The next day, Love Man wanted to hike Mount Humphreys. I decided not to go. My hip has been hurting since camping. I ordered flip flops with more support and think that may be the issue. Amy had invited us to go to this recreation center, I already told you all about that.
So, we went there. Hung out all day. I got sun-burned despite wearing sun screen and
having a great base tan. I guess it was the altitude. The sun is strong here.

LM was to pick us up in the afternoon. We tried to figure out how long it would take him. Amy's mother picked us all up. We piled into her car like clowns at a circus. Two moms and four children. The usual.

Amy brought us back to our hotel and decided to wait until we heard from Love Man.

I decided I wouldn't be worried until 7. We agreed to go out to dinner at 6, knowing he would call when he was heading back to Flagstaff. Around six, he called saying "a lesser man would have let himself be eaten by the chipmunks." He apparently made it up the 6,000 feet just fine, but had trouble getting down the hill. He met us at this diner and we all had dinner. He did have
a little trouble getting up and out of the restaurant. Imagine old man walking with a walker, except there was no walker. That is about how it looked.

Sunday we hung out and headed back down the hill to Phoenix. I did laundry. The girls watched TV. Love Man walked in the hot pool as the cover was on it while we were gone. The cover heats up the pool. The warm water proved to be therapeutic.

While we were packing to go. Love Man said, "don't pack my stuff." He was going to take a shower and all. So, I didn't. Amy is picking up his clothes left at the hotel today. "You told me not to pack your stuff," I told him.

That was our weekend in a nut shell.