Friday, August 14, 2009

The Key

Are you tired of me talking about the girls and school? Okay, just one more post. I walk Blonde Girl to school everyday. It is about a mile. I have always walked the girls to school. It is my fitness and I feel better for it.

This year BG decided she was going to walk herself to and from school ALONE. I said, "No, it is my only chance to exercise." So we worked it out that I would walk her to school and she would walk home alone.

She has a key and a phone with an Idaho prefix (don't ask, another story on another day). She walks home. The first day, she called to tell me she was walking home. The next day, I called her to make sure she was okay. She does not want to to be waiting outside or look out the window. I am not allowed to open the door, she wants to use her key.

Yesterday, she knocked on the door. I opened it. It takes her exactly 15 minutes to walk home from the release of school. "Why didn't you use your key?" I asked. "I didn't have the strength."

Her class has to keep ALL of their school supplies in their backpacks as they don't have desks, ONLY tables. So, she has to carry her school supplies back and forth to school. I am going to ask her teacher if she can leave some of these things on her desk. Who cares! Her backpack is heavy. I schelp it to school in the morning and my shoulder is sore.

And, I was only kidding about one more post about the girls and school. There may be many more.