Monday, May 17, 2010

The Gift That Keeps on Giving

The girls have 7 days of school left,
I have 3!!
I am tired and keep falling asleep on the sofa.
I put my feet up for the 10 or so minutes that I wait until it is time to get that youngest child.
In that short amount of time,
I fall asleep.

We are walking to school,
as we always do.
Blonde Girl,
previously referred as that youngest child,
says, "oh no, today is the baby shower for my teacher."
"Are you kidding me, today! Why didn't you tell me!"
I racked my
brain to see if I had something we could give but didn't have a thing.
I told her, "I will go to Target when it opens at 8:00 and drop it off in the office."
Really, I should have let her stew in her own juices and I told her so,
but I didn't want her to be the only kid not giving their teacher a gift.
The shower was a surprise,
really both to me and her teacher.

I am at Target and really all the baby clothes were gender specific.
I think the only two people left in the world who wanted to be surprised about the sex of their baby is my friend, Miss G and Blonde Girl's teacher.

So, I am just wondering around.
The teacher is moving to Korea and I didn't know what to get her.
Then, I spied this Fisher Price glow worm.
It makes noise and lights up,
a perfect gift from my child who really does the same thing.
By now a Target representative was helping me.
She started adding socks and blocks and maybe even a clock.
I said, "hold it, this is all I am giving.
I have contributed and given a separate Christmas gift,
contributed and given a Teacher Appreciation gift,
contributed to her birthday gift and
I am sure they will hit me up for the End of the Year gift."

I am drawing a line in the sand.