Sunday, June 2, 2013

Bird Brain

The crock pot came back, after Miss B's biology teacher scrubbed it to death.  I don't know.  I ran it through our dishwasher a couple of times and I am going to attack it with a Brillo pad before I use it.



In other bird related news - I had to assist at my preschool a bird rescue.  It seems a baby bird was caught in the remains of his egg.  At least one leg was stuck.  The mother bird was gone.  I climbed up on a picnic table, with another teacher holding onto me.  I said, "kids, this is how I broke my arm.  Don't try this a home."

One little girl piped up, "It is true (pronounced trew), this is how I broke my arm standing on the sofa."

There you have it.

I got the nest down into a box.  Another teacher assisted the one formerly holding onto me and they got him out.  The bird was taken to a sanctuary.

This entire operation involved about four teachers and every child on the playground watching us.  We were all in the covered sand area.  LOL.

"You're from Iowa, what should we do?" one teacher said.

Do I dare tell her the truth?

"Well, I said.....to be perfectly honest my dad would have taken a shovel....."

You know what I said.

The bird was in great condition and will be released when he can fly.  I am not sure what kind of bird it
is.  Usually mourning doves are under the roof of the sand area.  Another teacher thought it was a wren.

I still do not like birds and I even let the bird hang out in my room.  After a bit, he started singing.  As long as he did not fly around.