Friday, January 20, 2012

It's All Greek To Me

Last week for Blonde Girl it was this major project. She had to read a 300 + page book (which she did over the break), write a speech and do a diorama. I have photos of the diorama and I will post them soon.

This week it was Greek and Roman Week. On Wednesday, she went to school in a toga. I
bought a white sheet at the Good Will, as Miss Brunette former toga has been retro-fitted into a Halloween ghost complete with eyes. I did keep these gold ropey swags and gold stars for
hair deco. Thank God.

I washed the sheet and proceeded to dye it purple. Naturally, they were out of purple dye but as
preschool teacher I really do get and understand the concept of making colors. I bought a box of red dye and a box of blue dye. Red and blue make purple. Voila.

The sheet was purple. Miss Brunette said, " can you do it again and make it darker."
"No," was my answer.

There was a sign-up sheet that went home during the previous week. There were all kinds of things for you to sign-up for. Hummus. Silverware. Lavash (which I had the joy of providing for Blonde Girl, I had to google it to figure out what it was. Flat bread, available at Safeway).

I stupidly wrote. I will provide whatever you need. Miss Brunette said, "you can't just write that, you have to circle something." So, I circled knives and forks for forty.

All last weekend, I wondered what I needed to provide. Monday night I said, "I never did find out what I need to buy. Go get your sheet." I was SHOCKED when I discovered I was to provide baklava. Baklava!

You know what it is. The dessert that is baked with phyllo dough and honey. OMG. I jumped up and started wondering how many pieces I needed and where I was going to get it. Then,
I thought of this restaurant that we have been to before called Greek Town. I called them and they said they would make an extra tray for me. I said, "I am not sure if I need 24 or 40 pieces.
I will call you after I hear from the teacher." She did call, I needed 32 pieces. Then, there was a new student. I ordered 37 pieces.

We picked it up and it was a hit. He cut smallish pieces and put them in cupcake liners.
Really, considering the trouble, the owner of this restaurant could not have been nicer. He even gave me a small box of baklava for my family. I love him.

Miss Brunette told her teacher she thought it was from Greek City or something like that and that he gave it to us. It was not free.